Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Old Prayer on Abject Poverty

February 2, 2010

Lord God,

I am filled with such wickedness: my relationship with you and with others is in shambles. I hate the sin and disordered desires that are within me, but only sometimes. I believe that my sin is evil, unholy, and wrong, but only sometimes...

Lord, help my unbelief.

My mind is poisoned. I cannot think straight; my perception of the way the world actually is has become twisted and skewed. The world bears your glory and instructs us in right actions, but does not speak the same to me as it used to. I have a false perception of the way the world is. Does this make me insane? My mind is broken and shattered... discontinuity of action and belief is my only constant.

Lord, renew my mind.

My heart is heavy and weary. I grow tired of guilt and shame. I am weak from futile self-struggle. I am unworthy to ask anything from you, but I have nothing, I am destitute. If my mind is broken, my desires undisciplined, and my heart weary, what do I have left? What do I have to live for?

Holy Trinity, help me find rest. Be my rest.

I have shamed your name, spent the gifts you have given me, and am left in a state of brokenness, yet you run to me and embrace me as your son.

"Christ our God, who art one with the Father and the Holy Spirit, who trampled down death by death, save us."

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this - so easy to forget the magnitude of my own sinful depravity.

    ReplyDelete